To support and consider the emotional health and well-being of children and adults, when there is a plan for a child to move from one family to another.
- Funded by the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) & Vancouver Aboriginal Child & Family Services Society (VACFSS)
- Free of charge
Vancouver / Richmond
Coastal North Shore (including Squamish, North Shore, Sechelt, Gibsons)
North Fraser (including Burnaby, New Westminister, Tri-Cities)
Who is this Program for?
Children from birth to 12 years
The goals are to prevent the traumatic breaks in attachment when children lose contact with a primary attachment figure; to reduce the cumulative losses for children during the transition by supporting a relationship between the foster, birth or adoptive parents before the move happens; and to help develop a comprehensive and collaborative plan for the child’s move to reduce the stress/trauma to the child and the supporting adults.
- To support the child / children’s attachment needs of children moving or left in the home
- To facilitate communication and connection between the homes both prior to the child/ren moving, as well as for a period thereafter.
- To provide support around grief and loss to the children moving as well as to the foster family.
- To increase collaboration between the systems surrounding the child.
- To support, in collaboration with other services, appropriate resources being in place to support the transition (e.g., childcare, counselling, housing).
- To provide support or consultation to MCFD / VACFSS workers and other professionals.
- To support close collaboration with both MCFD / VACFSS workers as well as other related professionals is an essential component of this service.
Outreach Support Services
Partnering with childcare staff to support children in childcare programs and providing professional development for childcare staff.Learn More
The Family Program
To provide an intensive child and family program for preschool aged children (aged 3 to 5) demonstrating significant emotional and/or behavioural challenges.Learn More
Child Therapy Services
Child therapy offers children, who have experienced loss and/or trauma, an opportunity to work through, heal and resolve some of these underlying issues in a safe and therapeutic environment.Learn More