Child therapy offers children, who have experienced loss and/or trauma, an opportunity to work through, heal and resolve some of these underlying issues in a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Funded by the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD), as a sub-contract with Family Services of Greater Vancouver (FSGV) and Vancouver Aboriginal Child & Family Services (VACFSS)
- An open Family Services file is required
- Free of charge
DocumentsOutline - Child Therapy Services
Who is this Program for?
Children 3 to 12 years where there is involvement with the Ministry of Children and Family Development or Vancouver Aboriginal Child and Family Services Society.
To offer a range of therapeutic options for children, including play and art. Play, art and other modes of expression, such as movement, drama, music and storytelling, can be a natural language for children. They are important outlets for children who are often not able to express themselves verbally about their fears, worries and concerns. By releasing these feelings, children can become more at ease and reduce the frequency of challenging behaviours, thereby increasing their readiness for school, learning and social connections.
- To support children when there are clear behavioural signs (e.g. significant withdrawal or acting out behaviours, or behavioural changes).
- To support children if there have been traumatic life experiences (e.g. abuse, neglect, witnessing or experiencing violence, broken attachments and/or abandonment).
- To work in partnership with the child’s family, caregivers and other professionals, to support the child.
- To work together to develop goals and a plan for the child based on their strengths and needs.
Outreach Support Services
Partnering with childcare staff to support children in childcare programs and providing professional development for childcare staff.Learn More
The Family Program
To provide an intensive child and family program for preschool aged children (aged 3 to 5) demonstrating significant emotional and/or behavioural challenges, and their families.Learn More
The Supporting Healthy Transitions Program
To support and consider the emotional health and well-being of children and adults, when there is a plan for a child to move from one family to another.Learn More